At What Age Should You Start Considering In-Home Care Assistance or a Senior Care Living Facility?
At some point, many people will need to make the difficult decision to look at alternative living arrangements for an elderly loved one: either getting in home care assistance or relocating them to a senior care living facility. If you are someone currently in this situation, the first question you probably asked yourself was “At what age should we start looking?”. Because no two situations are alike the simple answer to that question is that it depends.
Let’s look at some numbers and then explore some signs that it might be time to start looking at in-home care assistance or relocating to a senior care living facility.
NCAL Resident Statistics
In May 2019, the National Center for Assisted Living reported the following about the 811,500 US assisted living residents:
- 52% were over the age of 85
- 30% were between the ages of 75 and 84
- 11% were between the ages of 65 and 74
- 7% were under the age of 65
Here are 5 Signs That it May be Time to Consider Alternate Living Arrangements
Regardless of age, there are some telltale signs that can indicate that looking for in-home care or senior care living facility options would be a wise decision. If you observe any of these situations with your elderly loved one, it’s time to take action.
- They can no longer do basic things for themselves like cook, clean and do laundry.
- They start to experience mobility issues.
- When something upsets them, do they become excessively angry or violent?
- Do you notice piles of unopened mail when you visit them?
- Have they gone out and had trouble finding their way back home?
Admitting that someone you care about needs care that you are unable to provide them is very difficult. Rest
assured knowing that there are people out there who can help you get through this.
AyiConnect provides a platform to connect you with local bilingual and monolingual caregivers and nannies, au pairs, tutors and more. Join us to start this journey! It is free to sign up, search and chat with your prospects. Get help to release stress and focus on being presence.