- In general, average childcare rates have risen about 8% across the US with an average of $23/hr
- Trend 1: Pandemic has driven up the demand for private in-home childcare such as nannies and sitters, due to work-from-home or hybrid work arrangements, or concerns about illness exposure
- Trend 2: there is a shortage of quality nannies and sitters in the market. More and more teachers and nurses are joining private in-home childcare, driving up childcare rates from their credentials and experiences. The phenomena also impact daycare workers who are leaving their childcare posts for a higher-paid position
- Trend 3: Additional services are required for nannies and sitters such as housekeeping, meal prepping or cooking, pet care, and homework support. These new expectations have driven up the rates as well.
- Trend 4: more families are looking for flexible care arrangements, such as a few days a week, nights and weekends help, and nanny share. Many nannies and sitters are getting more short-term positions and gigs and may work more hours.
General rates for the US childcare market
Factors for determination:
- The number of children
- Certifications degrees training
- Responsibilities (such as additional housework) and experiences
- Living arrangement
Data note: AyiConnect compares data from Q1 2023 to Q1 2022, based on thousands of job listings. The sample size is the combined total across both periods.
Since the app launched in November 2021, we have helped connect tens of thousands of people to find care/jobs.
For related articles, please read below:
- THE NANNY TAX
- How to not overpay when hiring a bilingual nanny
- How to Perform an Annual Performance Review with your Nanny
- Nannies and vaccines
- Everything you need to know about caregiver contracts and agreements
AyiConnect is a platform to connect families with helpers who have a language specialty in addition to care. You can engage with them directly through self-service or concierge service. The concierge 1:1 service can provide another option to ensure successful matches for busy families who don't have time to search or need language assistance. Schedule a free consultation here for our concierge service, or check us out on ayiconnection.com