Many pregnant and prospective moms have lots of questions about the Chinese maternity or confinement period, including what it entails, what to eat during this period, and the benefits associated with postpartum meals.
First of all, the confinement period refers to the first month post-childbirth and the postnatal care a new mom gets to renew her health, strength, and vitality. The confinement period also helps to boost the mother's immunity against some diseases connected to maternity, alongside early aging, and rheumatism.
Now that we have the basics clear, let's talk about the specialized meals a new mother should eat for her health and also boost milk production.
We will be listing the ingredients that a new mother should eat in the first month after childbirth, and its functions.
The focus of the meals a new mom will eat in the first week of confinement is to improve the flow of lochia, which is the vaginal discharge a woman experiences after childbirth. Here are the ingredients that help.
- No.1 Rice bean: Vigna umbellata or rice bean should be part of the first week's diet because it is great for detoxification, improves heart health, and a good diuretic.
- No.2 Purple rice: This rice was one time called forbidden rice because it was reserved only for the Chinese Emperor's health and longevity. Such healthy rice is now available to all and strengthens a new mom's intestinal peristalsis.
- No.3 Jujube dates/ red dates: Dates support detoxification, the Qi, and the blood. It also serves as a substitute for water in the body.
Pork liver: One meal a new mom should eat in her first week is pork liver, and this is because it is rich in iron and vitamins, and it also aids the flow of lochia.
Apart from these ingredients, some other things include loofah egg soup, biochemical soup (sheng hua tang), pig liver porridge, and brown sugar ginger tea.
The focus of the postpartum meals this week is to improve milk secretion and nourish the kidney.
- No.4 Eucommia: Also called Du Zhong, this plant has several benefits, and it nourishes the kidney and gives strength to the mom's waist while reducing stress and tension.
- No. 5 Millet rice and No 6. purple rice porridge: This ingredient improves kidney strength and offers healing properties.
- No 7. Millet rice
- No 8. purple rice
Pork loin: It improves the new mom's metabolism.
Red dishes: Red dishes are great for the blood because they are rich in iron and they nourish the blood.
Other meals a new mom can eat this week include pig's feet and soybean soup, and Chestnut pork loin porridge.
Week Three and Four
During these two weeks, the attention is on the blood flow and circulation, intending to nourish the blood to take nutrients around the body.
- No 12. Huang Qi Astragalus
- No. 13 Goji berries Wolfberry
Black Vinegar: This ingredient is used alongside foods made of pork, and has therapeutic, blood purification, a nd artery cleansing functions.
- No.14 Dang Gui: This herb nourishes and boosts the Blood.
Wolfberry No. 15 sea cucumber soup, red date beef soup, and seaweed soup are all great for the new mom to help her recover from delivery and boost blood.
- No.16 sea cucumber
Some other porridges to eat include vegetable porridge, seafood porridge, and eight-treasure porridge. These porridges tonifies blood and Qi detoxifies the system and Strengthens the Stomach and Spleen.
Bird's nest and snow clam: This meal regulates the blood supply, restores health, and improves cell rebirth.
Other ingredients used to make confinement meals include
- No. 20 Lily bulbs
- No. 21 Lily flowers
- No. 22 Dried longan
- No. 23 Red lotus seed
- No. 24 Fish maw
- No. 25 Yan wo ( Cubilose )
- No.26 Dong chong cao
- No. 27 Shu di huang
- No. 28 Motherwort herb
- No. 29 Gastrodia elata
- No. 30 Barley semen coicis
- No. 31 Sweet rice
- No. 32 Red beans
- No. 35 White fungus
- No. 36 Radix codonopsis root
- No. 37 Glehnia littoralis
- No. 38 Lotus seeds
- No. 39 Candied dates
- No. 40 Fox nut
- Lentinus edodes
- No. 41 Black bean
No. 46 figs
No. 47 tangerine peel
No. 48 confinement rice wine
Ingredients needed for moms to take a good bath during confinement:
- No. 49 2 packs of wormwood
- No. 50 3 to 5 kg of ginger
Meals to avoid during postpartum confinement
- Avoid sour, raw, and cold foods as they cause congestion and prevent discharge of lochia.
- Avoid salty foods because they can cause edema.
- Complex hard foods are difficult to digest, so avoid them.
- Stay away from spicy foods because they can cause constipation and make the qi and blood weaker
- Avoid overeating because you have a weak gastrointestinal function at the time, and the digestive process can be hindered.
- The best postpartum practice is to eat smaller meal portions and eat as much as 5 or 6 times daily.
Postpartum confinement offers many benefits, including fighting allergies, improving physique, preventing ulcers, asthma, fighting colds, wrinkles, dark spots, constipation, soreness, and fatigue that comes with childbirth.
If you want to give this practice a try, hire a confinement nanny to prepare your meals and offer the care you need.
AyiConnect is a platform to connect families with helpers who can provide language assistance in addition to care. You can engage with them directly through self service. For those busy professionals who don't have time or need language assistance, we also offer Concierge 1:1 Elite service. Schedule a free consultation here for our concierge service, or check us out on ayiconnection.com.